Are you living for your resume or eulogy?
This powerful question was first introduced to me in David Brooks Ted Talk. (Which I highly recommend!) This statement really got me to thinking about how much more there is to life than how a person looks on paper. (For even more information on this, check out this article from the New York Times!) On an individual basis, happiness is the most important thing to arguably anyone. Yet, it is such a rare commodity because of what society teaches us to place value upon. It is important that we do not lose ourselves to this, and that we strive to be the best that we can be. I aspire to be an outgoing, worldly, bubbly, loving person who adds positivity to the world; a goal that can only be achieved by working on myself and "strengthening my eulogy." To strengthen ones eulogy and become the very best version of yourself, it is vitally important to be self-fulfilled. This is why, I decided to enclose a bucket list of some of my top 50 goals and adventures I hope to embark on in this lifetime. Without further ado, this is my plan to strengthen my eulogy; here is my bucket list:
- Meet Sophia Bush… She is my idol and forever will be my answer to the infamous question of “If you could eat dinner with anyone dead or alive, who would it be?”
- Be comfortable enough financially to only buy sustainable goods when given a choice; although this is usually the less economical option, it is the only option for a better, more humane and environmentally friendly world.
- Be a Big Sister as a part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America foundation. It is such an incredible platform to make a difference in someone’s life.
- Go to Australia
- Hit the Swiss Alps one winter (even if that just means drinking hot cocoa in the ski lodge)
- Change the self-image many people have (especially body image for young girls) through ads/marketing campaigns for a company that enables people to feel confident in who they are. I have always wanted to go into this field to create a new standard for media.
- Participate in a traditional wish-lantern celebration (either in another country or for a wedding...or both)
- Ride elephants in Thailand or India
- Do more research on Buddhism and meditation...I have always been intrigued by these concepts and would love to learn more.
- Go on a wine-tasting trip in a limo and go to a bunch of different wineries with my girlfriends… I have watched my mom do this and it just seems so fun!
- Keep a lifestyle blog with a large following
- Raise the rest of my $25,000 and build a school in Ghana. I am so excited to meet those kids!
- Go on an African safari
- Be in a music video, commercial, movie, etc (even if just as an extra :)
- Sit outside at a Parisian cafe with a croissant in hand
- Really experience the Eiffel tower: (Picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower, go to the top of the eiffel tower, see the eiffel tower at night, etc)
- Meet some of my family in France
- Have a beautiful, genuinely love-filled, wedding that is straight off my pinterest board
- Add a Lock to the Love Lock Bridge in Paris
- Rescue a puppy
- Have kids! My friends all joke that I am “a mom” and although I am in no rush, I am very excited to one day be a parent.
- Buy a house that I am proud to call home
- Host parties and BBQ’s at my house, I want to be the gathering place. Furthermore, to BBQ an incredible steak for my dad while having my parents over for dinner. He has always told me as I’ve grown up that this is something he greatly looks forward to.
- Vacation in an overwater bungalow in the bahamas
- See the Ellen show live (and keep my fingers crossed that it's one of those super cool giveaway ones)
- Run a marathon
- Do a color run
- Eat in an underwater restaurant
- Visit the Louvre
- Cook amazing dinners for my family every night the way my mom does for our family. We have so many amazing family recipies and I hope to carry on the legacy of our family cookbooks.
- See a broadway show in New York
- Ride a gondola in Venice, Italy
- Zipline through the jungles of Costa Rica
- Visit all 7 continents, make at least one friend in every one of them
- Visit all 50 states
- See the Northern Lights
- Finish a journal. I have wanted to keep a journal for years, I would love to actually finish one.
- Pay a stranger’s restaurant bill. I love all the “pay it forward movements” and I don’t want this to be a one time bucket list item, I would love to do this often.
- Throw a Coin and Make a Wish in the Trevi Fountain in Italy
- Drink Beer at Oktoberfest in Germany
- Helicopter over a Volcano
- skydive...such a cliche but it definitely deserves a spot on my list!
- Graduate college
- have “tea time” in England and wear a cool hat
- Go to Santorini Greece
- Explore Rome
- Explore Spain
- Ride the London Eye
- Visit all seven wonders of the world
- Be in Times Square on NYE and watch the ball drop












Nicole, you have so many beautiful goals. It is really inspiring how a few of your goals are focused on helping others and making our world a better place. I also love how much you mention your family and friends in your goals. Having them by your side will definitely create so many meaningful memories. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be able to accomplish every item your list. I wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDelete